Our experience has shown us that the days after the passing of a loved one can be filled with uncertainty. Family and friends are often involved in the funeral arrangements, which can be particularly challenging while also dealing with grief.

At Guardian Funerals, it’s our goal to make this process feel smooth and supportive. We have funeral directors on call 24/7 on 1300 181 300 to see how we may be able to assist you with the funeral arrangements.  

What to do when a death occurs

First, give yourself time to take in what has happened. You can call a family member, a friend or your regular clergy to let them know.

After that, contact the deceased’s doctor. If it was the deceased’s wish to donate their organs then a hospital should also be advised as soon as possible. Once you have spoken to the doctor, contact us on 1300 181 300 to get the funeral arrangements started.

What happens when someone dies in a hospital or nursing home?

If a death occurs at a public hospital, the hospital staff usually complete the formalities required for the issuing of the death certificate and other certificates. It will usually still be up to the family to contact a funeral home directly though. If a death occurs at a nursing home or private hospital and you are not already there, the staff will usually contact the next of kin once the death has been confirmed.


A repatriation is where a deceased person is moved from one state – or one country – to another so that final rites can be performed there. A repatriation can involve quite a lot of paperwork and logistical challenges. At Guardian Funerals, we have extensive experience with repatriations and work closely with a wide network of funeral directors, both interstate and internationally.

Call us on 1300 181 300 to discuss a repatriation. 

Death Certificate

After the passing of a loved one, the Death Certificate is an important document for legal and financial reasons. When arranging a funeral with Guardian Funerals, our experienced funeral directors will take care of all the required forms. 

Read more

Who should you notify of the death?

There are the family and friends of the deceased to notify, and it can help to have a trusted family member or friend act as a point of contact.

Others who may need to know, but not necessarily straight away, are:

  • Accountant
  • Australian Electoral Office
  • Australian Tax Office
  • Centrelink
  • Clubs, organisations and associations
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs
  • Email and social media accounts
  • Employer
  • Executor nominated by the deceased
  • Financial Institutions – eg. banks, building societies, credit unions, credit card providers, loan companies and digital monetary accounts such as eBay and PayPal
  • Home services - eg. nursing service, home delivery service, home appliance rental, medical aids rental company, cleaning or gardening services
  • Insurance companies – including funeral, life, accident, home and contents, vehicle
  • Local Government – rates and fire levy
  • Vehicles – car lease, car registration
  • Medical – dentists, specialists, hospitals, chemist, health benefits fund
  • Medicare
  • Post Office - mail delivery
  • Solicitor and/or public trustee
  • Superannuation companies
  • Telecommunications – eg. phone and internet providers
  • Utilities – eg. electricity, gas, water companies