GRIEF SUPPORT SERVICES
There are many local community organisations that will provide support, as well as some larger well known organisations that work throughout Australia. These include:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue: Information and support on mental health
- Black Dog Institute: Information on symptoms, treatment and prevention of depression and bipolar disorder.
- Mindspot: A free service for Australian adults who are experiencing difficulties with anxiety, stress, depression and low mood.
- NALAG Centre for Loss & Grief: Grief Support line: (02) 9489 6644
- Australian Psychological Society: 1800 333 497. Can provide a list of registered psychologists offering counselling services.
- The Salvation Army Counselling Service: 1300 363 622
- Kids' Helpline: 1800 551 800. A free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25.
- 1800RESPECT: Confidential information, counselling and support service open 24 hours to support people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse.
- Relationships Australia 1300 364 277. A provider of relationship support services for individuals, families and communities.
- SANE Australia 1800 18 7263. Information about mental illness, treatments, where to go for support and help carers.
- Support after Suicide. Information, resources, counselling and group support to those bereaved by suicide. Education and professional development to health, welfare and education professionals.
- Red Nose Grief and Loss (formerly SIDS and Kids): 1300 308 307 (24/7).
- The Compassionate Friends: 1300 064 068. Offering Support and information to those who have lost a child (any age) or grandchild to death. Also offering some sibling groups.
- Cancer Council Australia: 13 11 20. Nurses and health professionals offering support to anyone affected by cancer.
For more comprehensive information on grief, you can visit the MyGriefAssist website.